Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Gladys Aylward - Missionary to China

The girls and I just finished reading the most amazing book about Gladys Aylward. I had actually never even heard of her before, but wow, what a story. I would highly recommend this book to any adult. I read it out loud to the girls, but there were a few parts I had to skip over or reword - a few violent war scenes and beheadings. The story of how God miraculously provided for Gladys so that his name could be proclaimed in very remote parts of China is very foreign to modern people who are so self reliant. Her obedience to stay in the midst of danger because of her love for God and the people sounds foolish to modern day Americans. This is an amazing story of God's sovereignty and Gladys' willingness to suffer harm for the sake of making the name of Jesus known among the people of China.

I won't give the story away, I hope you'll read it yourself. There are several books about her. We read Gladys Aylward The Adventure of a Lifetime by Janet and Geoff Benge. I have a copy if anyone wants to borrow it. You can also google search her and get little short paragraphs about her life.

3 comments:

Carol said...

I want to borrow, I'll let you know when I am in that part of town...

The Smith Family said...

Great - it is on hold for you :)

Danny and Lani said...

She was truly an amazing woman. I have just listened to her telling her testimony, I found it here: http://sermons.christiansunite.com/Gladys_Aylward.shtml
God bless you! -Lani