Friday, March 16, 2007

The Great Mystery

So now that we have conquered the problem of evil ( or at least come to rest at some comfortable place on the subject), let's consider another one. I'm talking about marriage, or Christ and his relationship to the church - the great mystery (Ephesians5:32).

Ronnie and I went to a wedding about a week ago. It was a simple ceremony with one of the most profound messages I have ever heard. Even Ronnie commented the next day about how he was still thinking about it. The message was titled on the wedding program "The purpose of marriage". What is the purpose of marriage? companionship, procreation, guilt free sex, the list could go on. What is God's purpose for marriage? There is a clue about this in Ephesians 5:31. The verse starts "For this reason a man shall leave his father ...". Well, what reason is he referring to? He is referring to the picture of Christ and the church given in the preceding verses. The picture of Christ and the church is the reason that a man should leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife. The reason people should marry is to give a picture of Christ and the church, not to have companionship, not to have children, not to have guilt free sex (although those are all ok by-products of a healthy marriage).

How does this play out practically? When people look at Ronnie they should see his unending love for me. They should see how he takes care of me and loves me as he loves himself. They should see how he tries to protect me from evil and keep me holy and blameless. He is a picture of Christ to the world in our marriage. When people look at me they should see how I quietly yield to Ronnie's advice. They should see how I treat Ronnie with reverence and respect. They should see an accurate picture of the church quietly submitting to the authority of Christ.

What an opportunity/responsibility we have as christians. Marriage is not about us. Marriage is about God and created by Him. Marriage is a tool used by God in our world to portray a picture of Christ and the church. It has nothing to do with us, and that makes it so freeing. I am free to quietly submit to Ronnie, for the sake of the gospel. Each time I do this the gospel is portrayed accurately to anyone who may see. Ronnie is free to love me as his own body, for the sake of the gospel. Anyone who sees him doing this gets a glimpse of the love Christ has for His church.

How does your marriage measure up to this? What can we all do to more accurately portray a picture of the gospel to a lost world? What about marriages between non-believers? Do they still represent this picture of Christ and the church? I'd love to read your thoughts.

1 comment:

Mark and Hannah said...

Your blog goes nicely with what Russ said this morning....

Of course now you MUST post on the Barbie's and baptism. Ronnie was cracking me up as he told me about it.....

Oh, and make sure Ronnie checks out my tribute to his "non-blogging" self!!!!!